2013 Student Design Award
Charette Week: Call to Students
AfH is inviting students to apply for a place at our 2012 Student Design Charette. Successful applicants will be asked to prepare proposals for accommodating and caring for the elderly within the acute hospital complex. The competition will address the growing issue of comorbidities and particularly the increasing prevalence of forms of dementia with other illnesses.
The brief will cover a range of facilities including Elderly Assessment Unit, a Day Facility, Ward Spaces, a Virtual Ward and the Acute Elderly Wards. The challenging sites will encourage students to consider how interaction with the city on a congested central London site can be used to create a therapeutic environment for a diverse and complex group of building users.
As with previous AfH Student competitions, candidates need not demonstrate detailed technical knowledge of the process of designing for medical spaces in their application. The organisers are keen to encourage students to explore the theoretical limits of the brief and site and to then feed in the constraints to push against and hopefully seed bold and exploratory ideas.
As part of the charette week, students will visit existing relevant buildings in London as well as becoming familiar with the St Thomas’ hospital site. Tutoring. lectures and seminars will also be given by practicing healthcare designers, academics, and representatives from the hospital.
Working in small groups set by AfH, students will be asked to prepare material to describe the proposals using a variety of media in a busy and demanding programme. The final session of the week will be an architectural crit session where proposals will be presented primarily using physical models (both conceptual and spatial). We hope designs will reflect upon detail and the masterplan, the route to and from the clinical spaces and how the journey influences the patient.
The team with the most successful or insightful proposal in the opinion of the critic team will receive the 2013 AfH Student Award.
- 4 day residential course form the 15th to the 18th of January 2013
- Introduction meeting on the evening of the 14th of January
- Accommodation for those from outside London will be provided for the duration
- Standard class travel to and from London will be subsidised
- A small printing/materials fund is also available on the charette
- Crits and awards evening will take place on Friday 18th of January
- Details of the brief and schedule will follow
To apply to the awards please email the following documents firstname.lastname@example.org by the 1200hrs 16/11/2012 (GMT):
- A two page text only CV
- Four A4 images of your student work (it is not req. to be health)
- A short covering letter explaining your interest in the subject matter